Occasionally, I help others build website.s
One client of mine approached me asking me to help them out. Sure thing, no issues. You want a website, you get a website. Nothing fancy.
Then I emailed to ask what domain name they wanted and then they turned back asking me what is a “domain name”, is that the name of the website? I hesitated, pondering my response, purpose of my existence, and how to best respond to that question.
- LMGTFY: passive, but aggressive and maybe teach a lesson?
- Explain the concept: teach a lesson?
- Pretend to never seen this email?
- Drop the client and move on with my life?
- Teach them how to look up an unknown concept? Because surely, everyone in the world has heard Wikipedia by now?
It really takes less than 5 minutes to educate yourself to learn something new.
Not everyone does that.
I will try to stick with those who at least attempts to educate themselves.
But I have to work with people like that. In the end, I wrote her a short email explaining that.
Such, is the fate of working with people. You do what needs to be done to get things moving.